It’s been a year already and I am still find it a little unbelievable that I’m already 27 years old. As I am finalising the final draft for this post, I am currently in Bali for my Yoga Teacher Training! Many amazing things have happened this year and I’m really grateful. It’s a little strange to think that I’ll be turning 28 years old next year. Truth be told, my age after turning 25 just became ambiguous. I even forget how old I am sometimes.
Regardless, age is truly just a number and instead of fearing the fact that we will get older and our bodies will change, I think that it is more important to focus on how becoming one year wiser and stronger can allow us to do things that our younger selves would not dare to do.
My 28 before 28
- Travel to Philippines
- Travel to New Zealand
- Start teaching yoga on Skillshare
- Start teaching yoga in a studio
- Read 1 book a month (I made it more specific instead of the the ambiguous 12 books goal)
- Drink a green smoothie daily in the morning
- Go for one class per quarter to learn something new (it can be for any skill/experience!)
- Get PADI certified (It’s back on the list from last year)
- Get 2 sales a month for Typornagraphy on Etsy (Last year, my goal was to start something and thus I’ve created Typornagraphy on Etsy which sells minimalist and inspirational posters. Please do check it out if you’re interested!)
- Detach from my phone more
- Get a physical alarm clock and stop snoozing in the mornings
- Only purchase new things consciously
- No snacking after 10pm
- Meal prep more meatless dishes
- Workout 6 times a week
- Get 10,000 steps daily
- Learn how to make baos (Chinese steamed buns) or dumplings
- Learn conversational french (can’t believe it’s on the list once again)
- Learn basic Indonesian
- Get more plants and grow them well
- Read on public transport instead of using my phone
- Pay off my student loan (about 10k left to go)
- Invest in something new to expand my investment portfolio
- Get out of bed by 7am daily
- Drink only one cup of coffee a day
- Improve my knife skills in the kitchen
- Try out Taekwondo
- Try incorporating the 20/20/20 rule into my morning routines (you can read more about this in my post on why you should wake up at 5am and book insights from The 5AM Club)
Some things I’ve learnt (from attempting to strike off items from my 27 before 27 list)
- I need specific goals that can be measured. This applies to reading a book a month instead of just stating 12 books for the year. This gives me a more specific focus and helps me achieve it easier.
- Goals can and probably will change throughout the year and that’s ok. It just means I’ve grown and rather set my focus and energy on achieving something else.
- Rereading my list also shows me what can of person I was when writing it. It can be quite liberating and intriguing to see how my mindset and goals can change in such a short period of time.
- I’ve read somewhere that we overestimate what we can do in 5 years and underestimate what we can do in a year. Thus, I’ve decided to put down some larger goals along with some smaller ones, as well as those to help improve my daily habits.
I hope sharing this list inspired you to create your own in some way! It doesn’t have to be 28 before 28 or anything like this, but it’s always nice to set some goals for the upcoming year, however way you want to view it!
What are some of your goals for the upcoming year?